Wednesday, April 16, 2014

100 Years

On April 24, 2014 the YWCA Lower Cape Fear will celebrate its 100th birthday. Even though I am going to enjoy being part of this celebration here in Wilmington and have spent almost 35 years associated with this local YWCA in various capacities, it is actually my second YWCA 100th Birthday Party. Back in 1955 in Fort Wayne, Indiana, I participated in the 100th Birthday of the YWCA USA (1855-1955). I was 10 years old.

The YWCA'S 100th Birthday bash in Fort Wayne was much different from the the local “black tie” affair that is planned here in Wilmington for Saturday evening May 3rd. According to my scrapbook enclosure, it was called “WET AND DRY SPOTS IN HISTORY.” Essentially the celebration was a gym and pool recital. We all sang “Happy Birthday” to the YWCA at the beginning and the end of the program. There were diving exhibitions, swimming demonstrations, a swim suit review from over the years (obvious a parade of changing bathing suit styles), dance routines (tap, ballet, slimnastics, social, and rhythmic). I performed in an intermediate tap number.

The Fort Wayne YWCA was founded in 1894.The YWCA building on West Wayne Street in downtown Fort Wayne was built in 1911. The pool was added in the basement in 1924. The old YWCA building was a fascination to me. It was a large building located next door to the downtown library. Besides the pool in the basement, it had a main floor gymnasium that was used for sports and dance. The main floor had a central, grand staircase that led to the 2nd floor meeting rooms. However, the most interesting area was where the residence space was located. It was considered a “safe place for working women.”

I tried many times to sneak a peek at the residence space, but I never made it. As my neighbors and I waited for our carpool home, we watched the young women check in at the front desk, pick up their mail, and get their room keys. Sometimes we tried to follow them, but they just laughed at us as they slipped behind the big door to the residence space.

A YWCA front desk is an interesting entity, and in my experience, has not really changed much regardless of time or location. Back in 1955 the lady at the Fort Wayne front desk kept an eye on us, checked us in for class, and sold us candy. In 1979 the lady at the front desk of the Wilmington YWCA, Shirley Avery, kept an eye on us, checked us in for class, and sold us candy! The only difference now in 2014 is that the lady at the front desk no longer sells candy!

Even though for many years I took dance classes and swim classes at the Fort Wayne YWCA, it was my time spent in Y-Teens that has been most beneficial to me as an adult. Y-Teens was a high school service club that teenage girls joined at their respective schools, but came together once a month at the central YWCA location. It presented opportunities for leadership, fellowship, community service, and a school “letter.”

Since I was not adept at sports, cheerleading, or music (instrumental or vocal), I had to use what gifts I had to get school letters and “facetime” in the school yearbook. Y-teens was girls only so that knocked off half of the competition. To this day it is generally the rule not to allow men on local YWCA Board of Directors. By my final year at Elmhurst High School (Class of “63), I was the president of our Y-Teen Chapter. I definitely have YWCA training to thank for helping me gain the skills to “lean-in” and “take my seat at the table”(1)


In 1979 when I moved to Wilmington as a “GE trailing spouse,” the YWCA was my gateway into my new community. Susan Manne, a neighbor and another “GE trailing spouse,” invited me to participate at the YWCA. Susan was instrumental in getting me to join the Wilmington YWCA Board of Directors and allowing me to meet Bessie Fay Hunt, a real visionary for the local community.

Bessie Fay Hunt is the person responsible for my many years of involvement with the YWCA (Lower Cape Fear as it is known today). She was a very strong and a very smart woman. To this day I admire her wisdom, foresight, and leadership. Because Bessie Fay Hunt had a problem in 1981 that needed solving, Gayle Busch, a neighbor, and I formed a partnership to create a half day preschool for the YWCA. Eventually Gayle Busch followed her husband to another assignment and I continued with ownership of the Tot Spot until it was sold to the YWCA in March of 2012.

Over the years it has been my pleasure to work in various ways with some very outstanding YWCA Executive Directors, but mostly it has been my privilege to have worked with and known the dedicated, devoted, and hardworking staff of the Tot Spot, LLC. I especially want to highlight the efforts of the team of Nancy Baden, Addie Arato, and Mollie Stanley who joined forces with me in the classrooms for almost 25 years to provide care and nurturing for the four year old preschoolers.

(1) LEAN IN Women Work & the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg, Chief Operating Officer, Facebook


NATIONAL TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK / 2013
(LAST TOT SPOT ROSTER UNDER MY SUPERVISION)

ADDIE ARATO / 27 YEARS
EDEN AVERY / 7 YEARS
NANCY BADEN / 29 YEARS
PAT DENTON / 16 YEARS
TAMMY DENTON / 15 YEARS
CAROLINE ENDRESS / 5 YEARS
SANDRA HARRELL / 8 YEARS
VICKIE KONTALONIS / 19 YEARS
STEPHANIE RANKIN / 9 YEARS
JAN RICHARDSON / 17 YEARS
LISA RIVENBARK / 7 YEARS
MARIA SMITH / 4 YEARS
MOLLIE STANLEY / 24 YEARS
PAM TOMLINSON / 10 YEARS
CARRIE WATTS / 5 YEARS
BARBARA WHALEN / 17 YEARS


AND OTHERS TO REMEMBER FROM OVER THE YEARS

FRAN ENDRESS / 20 YEARS
HEATHER FASANO / 7 YEARS
JENNIFER STOGNER / 7 YEARS
JAIME WALTON / 22 YEARS
JENNIFER KNOWLES / 3 YEARS
CRYSTAL KARAFAS / 4 YEARS
COLLEEN TRANCHON / 3 YEARS
RAELYNE MICHEL / 4 YEARS
CYNDI BYRD / 10 YEARS
SUSAN FIELDSTEIN / 10 YEARS
CATHY KADEG / 12 YEARS
LINDA SMITH / 5 YEARS
DARLENE SIEDENTOP / 5 YEARS

AND EVEN OTHERS TO REMEMBER FROM OVER THE MANY YEARS

LAURIE CHRISTENSEN
JANE MAREK
SUSAN McDONALD
KARI BEDSOLE
BARBARA CAVENAUGH
JOYE DEANE
DEBORAH DOUCETT
TRISHA WATTS
KYLE HALL
KATHERINE ANDERSON
TERESA BATSON
SUSAN DUPUIS
REBECCA ROBERTSON
YVETTE TURNER
JACQUELINE EASON
CLAUDIA KEMP
KELLEY LEE
DONNA LEMERY
NORA MORGAN
(VERY FIRST EMPLOYEE HIRED)
PATSY WEBER
EDNA CANADY
KAREN JAMES
MARGARET WHITE
SUSAN STANLEY

AND EVEN MORE TO REMEMBER

JEANNE RIEMAN
ANNALISE MARTIN
BARBARA HALL
BILLIE J. ROSS
ROSE GEMBORYS
ROBIN EBERHART
MICHELE KIGER
JANE CAPPADONA
SHEILA IRRERA
NANCY MAGRUDER
BRENNA WOOLHISER
KATHLEEN WALKER
CATHERINE MERIAM
BARBARA McNEIL
PAMELA HERSEY
MELISSA MOLININI
JENNIFER TILLERY
ALLISON WALKER
JENNIFER JORDAN
DEBORAH HEWITT
MICHELLE MESKERS
JANE BRUNT
MARY JO DONNER
TERI RAKSNIS
REGINA DEGUIDA
VALERIE LAZZARI
KERRIE SMITH
EMMIE EATON
SUZANNE MOORE
MELISSA BERRY
MARJORIE HUGHES
JENNIE GASKELL
JAN TABOR
URSULA BROWN
TAMMY COVIL
CARLA HERRING
KELLY REGAN
TANYA BEECHER
DEBORAH WARNER
SUSAN WAYT
TERRI DEARIE
AMY SCHRIDER
PATRICIA WILLIAMS
TERESA LOKEN
ELIZABETH CORRIGAN
JANA ALBRITTON
NANCY DUFINETZ
NANCY HAUSER
SHIRLEY PEAY

AND THE OTHER 48 SUMMER INTERNS, SUBS, AND MAINTENANCE STAFF EMPLOYED BY THE TOT SPOT LLC SINCE JANUARY, 1981!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment