Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

Sunday, March 2nd was Dr. Seuss' birthday. During my years in the classroom I have collected a lot of Dr. Seuss memorabilia. Somethings I bought, somethings I made, and somethings I have been given. My many treasures have aided me with my quest to inspire an interest in books and reading.

On Sat, March 1st I attended a Dr. Seuss Birthday Party at the Wake County North Regional Library. It was a party for young, school-age children. I asked the librarians ahead of time if they were interested in any of my Seuss memorabilia. Upon receiving an affirmative response, I decided to give them my six foot tall folding cardboard “Cat in the Hat.”

Since I currently do not have need of many of my classroom props, I have been trying to find them homes. It is a struggle to let go of teaching aids. Part of the problem with acquired teaching aids is that they were purchased with my own money. School budgets never seem to have line items for storybook characters, lifesize cardboard cutouts, or stuffed animals and dolls. Most teachers will tell you that it is hard enough to find money for construction paper, bulletin board paper, or glue. I am also trying to spare my family the task of having to throw my treasures away. I have bad dreams where I see my teaching supplies being tossed out of our second story window directly into a dumpster.

Not long ago I was reading an article about decluttering. One line caught my attention because it addressed my problem with wholesale paring down. I struggle with letting go of somethings because I want to remember them. The article suggested taking pictures of things that were being held on to for sentimental reasons. Thus, my new mantra, “take a picture of it!”

On Saturday at the party, I saw my “Cat-in-the-Hat” outfitted with a fresh, new “Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss” banner. It was displayed proudly with balloons as a photo shoot center. I watched as children asked their mothers to take a picture of them with “Cat-in-the-Hat.” It was so cute that older children would have made “selfies!”

As I enjoyed all the activities during the celebration I knew I had found a good home for my classroom prop. It was going to be used and cared for in such a way that it would continue to inspire an interest in books and reading.
Other Dr. Seuss Birthday activities at the Wake County North Regional Library:
      1. A Spoon/ Egg Race: a relay race using green plastic eggs and wooden spoons for GREEN EGGS AND HAM?
      2. Art Center: table with materials to make a Seuss character stick puppet; materials to create a Seuss-like collage filled with “weird paper shapes and stickers” indicative of Seuss generated illustrations; and feathers to glue on a drawing to create a tail for MISS GERTRUDE McFUZZ.
      3. Guessing Game: at the book display table, which was filled with many selections by and about Dr Seuss, was a glass Mason jar filled with colored Goldfish crackers. To celebrate ONE FISH TWO FISH RED FISH BLUE FISH, the children were asked to guess how many Goldfish were in the jar.
      4. Librian lead discussion and shared reading about Dr. Seuss, aka Theodor Seuss Geisel, with audience participation by way of a big screen monitor.
      5. Take home sheets: a table with reproducible handouts filled with matching games and drawing sheets.
As always, I either learn something new or am reminded of a fact that I have forgotten. Saturday it was Dr. Seuss had another pseudonym, “Theo LeSieg.” (Geisel backwards).


No comments:

Post a Comment